Halloween weekend is almost here! Children are excitedly picking out their costumes, eagerly awaiting the big night when they can finally go trick-or-treating. Halloween is always fun for both children and adults alike; in honor of the upcoming holiday, McDuffey Law Firm is here to help you get in a 'spooky' mood with these fun trivia facts about Halloween. You might be surprised by what you learn!
Fun Facts About Halloween
1. The first Jack O'Lanterns were actually carved from turnips, not pumpkins.
2. Owls are associated with Halloween because in Medieval Europe, people believed that hearing an owl's call meant you would soon perish.
3. Trick-or-treating evolved from the ancient Celtic tradition of placing food and other treats on the doorstep to placate wandering spirits and ghouls.
4. Jack O'Lanterns and candles were originally lit on All Hallow's Eve to ward off ghosts and spirits.
5. The largest pumpkin ever recorded weighed 836 pounds.
6. Witches' Night, Snap-Apple Night, Summer's End, Samhaim, Lamswool, and All Hallow's Eve have all been used as alternative names for Halloween.
7. Ireland is generally heralded as the birthplace of Halloween.
8. Famous magician Harry Houdini died on Halloween night in 1926.
9. Americans spend about 2 billion dollars on Halloween candy every year.
10. Wearing costumes on Halloween originated from the Celtic tradition of dressing up as ghouls and demons on All Hallow's Eve. The Celts believed that by disguising themselves, they would be safe from the real ghouls and demons that wandered the streets that night.
11. Boston, Massachusetts holds the title for most Jack O'Lanterns lit at once - totaling 30,128 pumpkins!
12. The fear of Halloween is called "samhainophobia."
13. Halloween is the second highest grossing holiday in the States (right after Christmas).
Happy Halloween from McDuffey Law Firm!
The entire team at our Lake of the Ozarks personal injury law firm would like to wish a happy and safe Halloween weekend for you and your family! If you ever find yourself in need of legal assistance, we hope you'll think of McDuffey Law Firm. We have successfully represented clients facing a wide variety of personal injury challenges, including medical malpractice, wrongful death, and workers' comp. If you are in need of a personal injury attorney in central Missouri, contact us to schedule a free consultation!
McDuffey Law Firm, LLC
Ph. (573) 302-7211
Fax. (573) 302-7215
5754 Parkside Village Ct.,
P.O. Box 368
Osage Beach, Mo 65065
Find us On Google Maps
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with Tim on LinkedIn
Add us on Google+